Friday, November 19, 2010

Chapter 2- Just Like Heaven

BPOV

I didn't know what to think of his statement. Was my car really in that bad of shape? Or did that just  mean that he was planning on buying me a drink? The idea wasn't a bad one.

"What does that even mean, Edward?" I asked as I snatched the cookie from his hand.

"Well I suspected it may be your timing belt, but when I got in there to check it out I discovered that you don’t have a timing belt. You my lovely Bella have a timing chain that needs to be replaced." he answered as he opened the door to the sexy Chevy we were standing next to.

"Again I ask you what does that mean? In english, please. " I blinked up at him. "And why are you getting in this car? Are you leaving me here alone?"

"I'm getting in my car so that I can sit down and eat my burger. And it means that I need to replace your timing chain, but I don't have the replacement piece so it won't be a quick fix." he said as he opened the plastic container that held his burger and fries.

Of course this is his car. There is no other car he could possibly drive. This car is as sexy as he is, and I can't believe he's eating in it. I leaned my hip on the inside of the door he opened and looked down on him as he began to eat.

"Edward, are you really going to eat in this car? Burgers can get kind of messy."

"Do you have a crush on my car, gorgeous? I built it with my own two hands." he says as he wiggles his long fingers.

" Yes, I have a crush on this car! You built this? Your car is sexy as hell, Edward. You know it is”. As a matter of fact I'm stopping myself from licking the hood right now... I thought to myself and I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks, and I knew my blush was fierce.

"So, the car really does it for you? All this obscene flirting I've been doing, and the car's going to get some action before I do? Man, that is harsh. Then again, I guess that's what it's made for... lovin'."

"Obscene flirting? You've been flirting with me, Eddie? I hardly noticed." I said with a giggle as I ran my hand across the frame of the window. "Well, this car is the best wing man in history, and you still haven't invited me in." I stuck my bottom lip out in and over exaggerated pout.

And then it happened. Edward reached up and and ran his thumb across my bottom lip. By the look on his face he was as surprised as I was.

"I'm sorry, Bella. That was not premeditated, I swear!" he said with a chuckle. "And please, take this as an open invitation... get in my car."

I think this is about the time that I should tell him that I'm engaged. Not only am I engaged, but today is meant to be my wedding day, for fuck’s sake! He needs to know that he doesn't have a chance. He just admitted that he is flirting with me and I really don't want to hurt his feelings. He doesn’t have a chance does he? See! I’m losing my mind! All of his pretty is chipping away at my resolve. I need to set this straight right now. Well as soon as I get in the car, of course.  I walk around the front of the car to the passenger side, and I see Edward reach over and push the door open for me. My heart melts a little and I wonder if he will notice that I’m blushing again. I get in the car and I swear my heartbeat picks up. I’m not sure if it’s a reaction to Edward, or the car to be perfectly honest. I inhale deeply and am overwhelmed by what I smell. It’s a mixture of burgers and him, and I never want to leave. He looks at me as soon as I take the deep breath and the smile that erupts on his face makes my heart skip a beat.

“Bella?” he asks with a mischievous grin on his face.

“Yes, Edward.”

“Did you just smell my car?”

“Why yes, I think I did.” I say adopting his smirk again.

“And?”

“And it smells fantastic!” I laugh out loud and he does too.

“Should I leave you two alone?” he asks through his laughter.

“If you’d like, but I’m not sure it will be here in the morning.” I say as I nudge his shoulder with mine.

“Speaking of morning, I’m going to have to go pick up the timing chain if you want me to fix your car. It isn’t something I keep around here, but I’d happy to go get one for you if you’d like me to.”

“Edward, I don’t want you to go out of your way, but if it’s necessary so that I can be back on my way to Vegas, I’d really appreciate it.”

“Okay, but in case you haven’t noticed we are kinda in the middle of no where. Going to get the part is going to be about an hours drive back in the direction you came from.” he almost looked nervous when he said it.

“So after you get the part, and get back here how long will it take you to replace the part? I mean, about what time will I be able to get back on the road?”

“Well if I leave here around 8 in the morning I can be back and start working by 12. Then I can probably have you ready to go by... maybe 2...ish? How does that sound?”

I was actually really happy that I’d have some time to myself before I would be on my way and heading towards Jake. I don’t know why, but I almost felt like this little detour is something that I have to take advantage of.

“I think that would work out fine. I have to make another phone call and then I guess I’ll be checking into the motel. Unless you don’t mind me sleeping in your car.” I said with a wink.

“I don’t mind at all, though I feel I have to tell you, that it’s not very comfortable accommodations. You’d definitely be better off at the motel. Um, you could actually stay on my couch if you’d like.”

All I could do was stare at him with my mouth agape. He wasn’t looking at me, but I could tell he was trying really hard not to. Shit. I took that as my cue to let him in on the fact that I was taken.  

“Edward, that’s a really nice offer and I appreciate everything you are doing to help me. But I need you to know something.” I took a deep breath and got a nose full of his essence again. “I’m engaged. And I’m actually on my way to Vegas so that I can get married.” Fuck if it didn’t sound all wrong when I said it out loud.

Now it was his turn to stare at me with his mouth hanging open. I could clearly see the shock on his face, but he made a fast recovery. “I didn’t know, I hope I didn’t offend you with the flirting. If I did, I’m really sorry, Bella.” I don’t know if I was reading him right, but I think he looked sad. And Edward looking sad is some kind of crime against nature.

“Don’t worry about it, Eddie. How could you know? I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. I just didn’t think it was necessary. I don’t usually go around announcing it. I don’t even wear a ring.”

“Well I guess it’s good to know. Although I admit I’m a little bummed out that I have to stop all the obscene flirting. Now, let’s go get you set up at the motel.”

He started to get out of the car, but he stopped and looked back at me with his beautiful smirk and said “It’s too bad. I was just starting to have fun with you, Bella.” And then he winked at me. Damn sparkly mechanic God.

Edward helped me unpack my bags from my car and carry them to the motel lobby. There sitting behind the desk was the biggest guy I’ve ever seen. He had dark curly hair and huge dimples, and he was smiling from ear to ear when he saw us.

“Hey Eddie man, who do we have here?”  the smiling Hercules asked.

“Emmett, this is Bella. Bella this is my brother in law Emmett. He runs the motel.”

Emmett’s face lit up as he shook my hand. “Well it’s nice to see a new face around here, Bella. How long are you staying with us?”

Edward spoke before I could. “She’s just staying the night. She’s having some car trouble and I have to go out to Barstow and get a part for her tomorrow morning. Then Bella here will head off to Vegas and marry her Prince Charming.”

“That’s awesome! Congratulations! Let’s get you checked in and out of this heat.”

After I checked into the motel, Edward carried my bags to my room and I decided a shower was definitely in order. Then I was going to find out what there was to do around here. It was the night before my wedding after all, I think I should at least have a beer to celebrate my last night as a free woman.
                                  
                               ~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~

I took my shower and called Jake. He was not happy to hear that I was going to  be spending the night in Baker. It wasn’t like he had much of a choice, so he told me to be careful and call him in the morning. I got dressed in a comfortable summer dress and my favorite sandals and headed back to the lobby to ask Emmett about options for the night.

“Hey, Emmett... what’s a girl gotta do to get a drink around here?” I asked as I skipped into the motel lobby.

Emmett let out a low whistle as he looked me up and down before he answered. “If I wasn’t a happily married man I’d take you out myself!”

“And if I wasn’t betrothed I’d accept.” I said with a wink. “Seriously man, is me getting a beer wishful thinking?”

“Nope. And you’re in luck. Eddie just called down to invite me to go with him, but I had to decline. Alas, it is date night with the wifey and it is my turn to cook.”

“Sucks to be you, Em. I’m taking the lady out for a drink.” Edward’s velvet voice took me by surprise. I turn around and take in his newly shaved and showered appearance. He had on a Burgundy and gray v neck shirt and blue jeans. And again I am drooling. This can’t be the reaction I’m supposed to have. It makes me wonder if I really am suffering from a damn heatstroke!

“Hey, Eddie. You look nice. Care to have a drink with me on my last night as a free woman?” I say with my hands behind my back looking up at him through my lashes.

“Thanks sweetface, you don’t look so bad yourself. And I’d love to hit the bar with you... bachelorette  parties are my specialty after all.” he wagged his eyebrows at me and my knees nearly gave out on me.

Emmett shooed us out the door. “Have fun kids, don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”

As we walked outside I realized that we were going to take Edward’s car to where ever the bar is, and this scared me a little bit. I put my hand on his arm to stop him before I spoke. “Hey Edward, how far is the bar?”

“Not far. Maybe two blocks, why?”

“Well, if you don’t care, can we walk? I don’t want to drink alone tonight and I can’t relax if I know you’re going to be drinking and driving.” I wince a little as I get the sentence out.

Edward totally surprises me when he sticks his hand out for me to take hold of. “Come take a walk with me, Bella.”

I had to hesitate for a second, but the truth is I really wanted to take his hand. So I did. And it was electric, literally. He shocked me! But neither of us let go. It feels comfortable, comforting even, and it’s scaring me. Luckily the bar comes into view almost immediately, and we practically run the last half a block. I need a night to step outside of my own head and just have a good time. I have been on the road since I packed up my life in San Diego and haven’t yet had a moment to relish the fact that school was over and my life was beginning. My wedding was supposed to symbolize that transition, and now this night in this little bar is going to have to do it for me. Edward was going to have to do it for me.

“First round is on me, gorgeous. Let’s get to it! What would you like to drink?”

“Let’s do a round of shots to start of with. I’ll take vodka, Eddie. And then Heineken.” As I watched him walk away I noticed that there was a karaoke stage, and from the looks of it people were having a blast. I want to sing! No, fuck that, I’m going to sing... as soon as I have a few drinks in me. This night is definitely looking up.

                                      ~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~

2 hours, 5 shots of Stoli and 3 Heineken’s later I find my self on the karaoke stage, and I am feeling really nice. I have a mic in my hand and the music starts to play. The look on Edward’s face as recognition sets in, is classic. I can’t help the smile that takes me over. And I’m on...

“Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!
Caught in a bad romance
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!
Caught in a bad romance”

Did I forget to mention that I can sing? Like really sing. I only do it in choirs, though. Well, unless you count the car and the shower. But I love it, and having a few shots of liquid courage then getting on stage ranks among my most favorite night time activities. The look on Edward’s face now as I stare down at him is totally worth the little twinge of regret I will feel in the morning. What is that look anyway? Is it shock? Is it amazement? Could it be lust? I’m not in any mental state to judge, but this is fun!

“I want your love and
I want your revenge
I want your love
I don't wanna be friends
Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ta revanche
J'veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends.”

I sing out as if it’s the most natural thing to do, and look out at Edward as he sings along with a gorgeous smile on his face. I walk off the stage mid verse and strut around his chair. He reaches out and skims his fingertips across my waist as I pass. I take that as my cue to get my ass back on stage. And all too soon the song ends. People cheer and I curtsy before I make my way back to our table. When I get there I see that it is empty, and I start to panic. I look around and finally see him walking back from the bar with a beer in hand.

“That deserves a celebratory beer, gorgeous! You were amazing!” He beams at me and hands me the glass. “Where did you learn to sing like that? And you speak french!”

“Thanks. I don’t really think I learned it any where, it’s au naturel, baby. And no, I don’t speak french, but I do sing in french, spanish, italian, and latin. I’m a choir girl, you like?” I bat my eyelashes.

Edward sighed and took a step closer. “Me likey, Bella. You have no idea.”

I can smell the alcohol seeping from his pores and I know it’s just about time to call it a night.” Hey Eddie, I think it’s time we head out.” I say as I attempt to pull him towards the door. But he let’s go of my hand and starts to walk backwards away from me.

“No way, beautiful... I’m singing, too.” Then he turned and ran back to the stage. I walk back to the table and make myself comfortable. This ought to be good. He picks up the guitar that’s on the stage, sits himself on the stool and strums a few chords. Then he starts to sing and I fucking swoon.

“Show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream she said
The one that makes me laugh she said
And threw her arms around my neck
Show me how you do it
And I promise you, I promise that
I'll run away with you
I'll run away with you”

It’s my favorite song of all time, and I nearly fall out of my seat. How did he know? I find myself moving closer to him and I have no idea why. I sit at the edge of the stage as he sings his heart out. His eyes are closed and his head is down, so he doesn’t see the tear that slips from my eye. I’m moved, but I’m not sure if it’s by the song or by the honesty with which the beautiful boy sings it. Edward opens his eyes and sets the guitar back on it’s stand before I even realize that the song has ended. He smiles at me and we walk straight out of the bar and into the warm night air.

I speak first. “So, you sing. And you play guitar... well. That was awesome. Beautiful even.” I take his hand again and he doesn’t seem to mind. When Edward lets go of my hand and drapes his arm around my shoulder I don’t stop him. I know that I am drunk. Not falling down, sloppy drunk, but definitely intoxicated.

“Thanks, Bella. I could say the same thing to you.” He smiles down at me.

“I don’t play the guitar, silly boy!” I laugh loudly at my own joke and so does he. The rest of the walk is spent in comfortable silence. We make our way across the motel parking lot and to a door that is not mine. I look at him for some sort of explanation.

“Um... yeah, this is my room. Would you like to come in?” He looks shy when he asks and holds the door open for me. I walk passed him, look around and immediately look back at him.

“No bed?” I ask, because I’ve never been in a hotel room with out a bed and I’m curious to know why he doesn’t have one.

He points to the door in the far wall when he answers. “It’s in there. I live here, so this place is kind of customized. I have a living area, a bedroom and a kitchen. The only other suite is the one that Rose and Emmett stay in. Would you like a drink?” he asks with a smirk.

“I could go for some water, Eddie.” he starts to walk into the kitchen and I reach down and take my sandals off. I walk to the couch and sit down with my legs folded under me. I hear Edward tinkering around with glasses and ice. It makes me happy being here with him like this in his space.

All of a sudden I feel really hot. And it’s dark. Wait, my eyes are closed... and there is a blanket on top of me. I open my eyes and I gasp. I’m in Edward’s bed, and I’m not alone. Edward’s sleeping face looks down on me, his eyelashes casting a shadow on his cheeks and his arm is draped loosely around my waist. I still have on the dress I wore to the bar, and he is bare chested in a pair of basketball shorts. My mind is trying to recall anything from last night that would help explain how we got here. I try to free myself from under Edward’s arm without waking him, but he just tightens his grip. He stirs and opens his eyes, and they are brighter than I remember them being. My head is fucking pounding, and my stomach is churning, and still I can’t help but smile at him when I notice him smiling down at me. When he speaks his voice is gruff and yet somehow soft at the same time.

“Good morning, lovely.”



"Daylight licked me into shape
I must have been asleep for days
And moving lips to breathe her name
I opened up my eyes

You... Soft and only
You... Lost and lonely
You, Strange as angels
Dancing in the deepest oceans
Twisting in the water
You're just like a dream."

Just Like Heaven ~ Katie Melua

No comments: