Friday, November 12, 2010

Chapter 1- I Caught Myself

A/N: So, here's chapter 1... unbeta'd, as I warned it would be. This story will be BPOV unless otherwise noted. Thanks Shell-bell for the advice and kind applause. 
I do not own Twilight, but I do own 12 Twilight t-shirts... does that count for anything?



He was beautiful. All strong angular features and crooked smile. I felt like I wanted to reach out and touch him. No, it was like I needed to reach out and touch him. Like if I waited to long he would just disappear. The sound of a throat clearing brought me out of my inner monologue and I realized a moment to late that the sound was coming from him.

"Huh? I mean, I'm sorry, I... I didn't hear you." I stammered

"I asked what I could help you with, gorgeous." and the smirk was back full force.

"Bella" I stated, because if he called me gorgeous one more time I was liable to hump his leg.

"Bella?" he sounded confused, but he was still wearing his gorgeous smirk.

I pointed at myself like the huge moron his smirk reduced me to. "Me. I'm Bella. It's my name"

"Bella...gorgeous...means the same thing doesn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Look, my car is making this tick-tick-ticking sound, and I'm on my way to Vegas...alone... so I just need to know that the carburetor or the radiator or what ever isn't going to fall out on the way, leaving me stranded and vulnerable to kidnappers and axe murders." I said without taking a breath.

He stared at me wide eyed and said "Why don't you start it up for me and let's see if I can tell you what the noise is. Pop the hood for me, gorgeous Bella."

I could feel his eyes on me as I walked towards my car, but just to make sure I turned around and asked "Should I bring it over to you?"

"Yeah, you'll need to bring it to me Bella. Unless your ticking is so loud that I can hear it from across the lot. And if that's the case you should be more worried than you look."

"You're the boss... um... do you plan on telling me your name or do you prefer to remain anonymous?" I shout as I unlock my car door.

I sit in the driver seat of my beloved little car and try to collect my thoughts while I start her up. Is this guy for real? Does he know the raised eyebrow and flash of white teeth make me weak in the knees? I think he does, and that makes this situation all bad. Bad because I find myself holding back from rubbing my cheek against the scruff on his chin, and wiping the sweat from his forehead with shirt off my back. See? All bad. I'm supposed to be getting married in 8 hours. I'm startled by a knock on my window and look up to find the sparkly mechanic God looking down at me.

"So did you want to take care of this now, or what? Oh, and to ease your inquiring mind, my name is Edward."


Edward. I swirl the name around in my head acquainting my self with it as I reach down to pull the lever that will release the hood of my car. Once the hood is up I get out of the car and walk around to the front. What I find there makes me suck in a breath so deep I almost choke. Edward is leaning over the engine of the car fiddling with something. His coveralls are now zipped down revealing the sweat drenched white wife beater tank top he wears underneath. The arms of the coveralls are tied conveniently around his narrow waist. His bronze arms flex and strain with the effort he's using to examine what ever it is he's examining. I can see the outline of a tattoo peeking from underneath his shirt on the shoulder closest to me. My mind goes crazy imaging what it could be, and I envision my self peeling the shirt from his body so that I can get a closer look. And I am drooling again.

"See something you like there, Princess?"

"Would you think less of me if I said yes?" Did I just say that out loud? I must have heatstroke or something!

"Absolutely not, but if you said no... then I'd probably think you were a liar."

"Conceited much, Eddie? It's not a good look, trust me." I copy his smirk and cross my arms over my chest.

"I'm not conceited at all, Baby Girl. But by the way you were looking at me a second ago maybe I should be."

I have to laugh at this, because he has a valid point. "So, do you know what's making that noise or what?"

"I have an idea, but it's going to take a little more looking for me to be sure. Do you wanna go have a burger or something while I take a closer look?" He nods his head toward the quaint little diner my car was originally parked in front of.

"Yeah, I have to make a phone call anyway. Thanks, Edward."

I start walking away, and again I feel his eyes on me. I chance a look back at him just in time to catch him with an eye full of my ass. I put a little extra sway in my hips and hear him chuckle to himself.

"Was that for me, gorgeous?" He shouts from behind me.

I turn around and make an attempt at walking backward, as I shout back "Of course it was, Eddie. I don't see anyone else back there staring at my ass."

"Touche, sweet cheeks. Have a nice lunch!"

I barely make it into the diner before I let out a very girly giggle. It is so unlike me. I swear that man will be the death of me, and he likes it! What's worse is I like it. I check my cell phone when I sit down, and see I have 4 missed calls. All from Jake, and now I feel guilty. Before I can dial my phone, the most beautiful blonde woman I've ever seen walks up to the booth I've seated myself at. She's absolutely gorgeous, and is doing nothing at all for my self esteem. I'm sure she is no older than I am and yet she carries herself with a grace that I definitely do not posses. She is wearing a pink and white old fashioned waitress's uniform, complete with a pencil behind her ear and a name tag that simply reads "ROSE". The name is absolutely fitting with her clear green eyes and white blonde hair. She's a walking Barbie doll.

"Hey, I'm Rose and I'll be your server today. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Hey Rose, I'm Bella. I'm not from around here and I think I have heat stroke. Can I have a Dr. Pepper and a glass of ice water, please?"

"Sure thing, honey. Do you need a minute with the menu?"

"Well, Edward at the Shell station mentioned your burgers. I think I'll have one with cheese, no tomato, and onion rings on the side," I say as I hand her my menu.

"Edward's working on your car? Are you sure you want onion rings?" she actually laughs as she says it.

"I do want them, but now that you mention it I'll take fries with a side of ranch dressing, please." And now I'm changing my order because I don't want to share my onion breath with the hot guy looking under my hood! I'm a whore. An order changing whore.

When Rose comes back with my drinks I decided to ask her if she knows anything about Edward. I'm a whore, remember?

"Um Rose, do you know Edward?"

"Why yes I do Bella, what would you like to know?"

"Well, he keeps calling me gorgeous and he's being all charming and flirty. So, I was just wondering if that was normal for him?"

She laughs at me again before she answers. "Bella, that guy is a  big flirt, but he's harmless. He's good at his job, and he's a hard worker. Edward is a good guy. Oh, and he's my brother."

She said the last sentence with a smirk and a raised eyebrow. The familiar smirk that not even five minutes ago was lighting up Edward's face and making my lady parts sing.

"Of course he is." I mumbled under my breath. She was smiling down at me with the same emerald green eyes as her brother and the same full pouty lips. The only woman that could have given birth to both of these beautiful people is Aphrodite herself. Now I am really nervous. Would Rose think that I was interested in Edward? Was I interested in Edward? Would she tell him that I was interested? Lord, what's happening to me? One minute I'm on my way to marry the only boy I've ever even cared about, and the next minute I'm drooling over a hot, mysterious mechanic. This is getting ridiculous!

"Can I get you anything else?" Rose asked as she sat my plate in front of me.

"No, I think I'm good. Thanks. But can we keep that earlier conversation just between us?"

"Of course, Bella. What’s there to talk about?” she answers with a wink

I need to call Jake. Just to hear his voice and be pulled back into the reality that I knew and was perfectly comfortable with before I was sucked into this alternate universe in the middle of no where. Jake has been my rock for as long as I can remember, he’ll know what to say. Besides that I’m sure he’s wondering why I’m not in Las Vegas yet.

                                             ~xoxo~AWLT~xoxo~

My heart is racing as I dial Jake's number. "Hello? Bella is that you?"

"Hey, Jake. Yeah it's me. How are you? How was your drive?"

"Babe! I'm good... tired, but the drive was better than I expected. Where are you? Are you close? I miss you so much!"

"Aww, sweetie I miss you too. And I'm like half way I think, but I have some news." I was dreading his reaction to what I'm about to tell him. "My car is giving me some trouble, and I had to stop to have it looked at. I'm not sure yet what's wrong with it, so I don't know when I'll be able to get back on the road." I cringed as the last words left my mouth.

"What! Bella, what happened? Is it making a noise? Where did you stop? Are you safe?"

He was talking so fast that I didn't have time to answer, but I knew him well enough to know that I should let him finish. "Jake, first of all calm down. I am totally safe.
I'm still in California. I believe I'm somewhere called Baker, right under this really cool giant thermometer. The car was making this ticking noise and I just didn't want to ignore it and have it completely break down when I am alone in the middle of the desert."

"Good thinking Bells. I'm glad you're safe. Can I speak with the mechanic?"

"Um, I'm actually at a diner across the parking lot from the auto shop right now. I'm starving and the mechanic needed a minute to take a look at the car so I'm here having a burger."

"Well I can drive out there and take a look at it myself. It is what I do, after all."

"No! I mean, you don't have to do that. You already had such a long drive, you must be exhausted. And you have the boys with you... you could make it a bachelor party of sorts." I teased

"Bella, a bachelor party indicates that I am unhappy about losing my bachelor status. I feel exactly the opposite. I've been dreaming about marrying you since we were 15 years old, from our very first kiss I knew that you were it for me."

"Jake, that is so sweet. But I still think that you should make the most of this night. I really don't think that I'm going to make it there in time for the wedding that we have scheduled, maybe it's a sign. You know, everything happens for a reason and all that."

"Are you saying that the ticking is a sign that we shouldn't get married? Bella please tell me you're not backing out of this! Baby, we've been engaged for 3 years, I thought that you were positive about this. If you want to wait until everyone can be with us, I understand. Just tell me that you aren't going to use this as a way to break up with me!"

And now he is hysterical. "Calm down! I didn't say anything about breaking up! All I'm saying is that this little unexpected detour that I've taken is giving you the chance to have some fun with the boys tonight. If you don't want a bachelor party, consider it a night to say thanks to the guys for coming out here to support us. Take them out for a beer or something. You know that Sam and Embry will never turn down free beer. Just don't sit around waiting on me when you could be out having fun in that amazing city."

I heard him take a deep breath and then sigh. "Okay Bella. I'm going to take the guys out as a 'Thank you' for making the drive with me and standing up as witnesses for the marriage license. And then tomorrow I'm going to make you my wife."

"That's a fantastic idea, baby. I'm going to go back and talk with the mechanic. I will give you a call when I know more. I am fine, so don't worry."

I could hear him sigh again. This time it was louder and more whiny, but at least I knew that he missed me.

"Okay, Bells. Call me as soon as you know anything. I will text you with the hotel info as soon as we hang up. Please, don't forget to call me."

"I won't forget, Jake. Talk to you soon."

"I love you Bells. Bye"

"I love you too Jake. Have fun." I disconnected the call and flagged down Rose.


"Hey, Rose. That was fantastic! I need the check, but I was thinking I could take a burger back for Edward. I did show up unannounced, during lunch time. It's the least I could do." I said trying really hard not to look her in the eye.


"Well that's generous of you, Bella. I'm sure he'd appreciate it, and I've never known him to turn down food."


"Could you also get me a couple of Dr. Pepper's to go?"


"No problem, Bella. I'll be just a couple of minutes." She said with a wink.

Rose left to go get the rest of my order taken care of, and I found my self feeling anxious to get back over to the garage. By the time I see Rose making her way back over I am already up out of my seat.

"Here you go. A burger just the way Edward likes it, 2 Dr. Peppers and I threw in some chocolate chip cookies for good measure."

"Rose you're spoiling me! Keep it up, and you may never get rid of me. I'll see you later." I called over my shoulder as I made my way up to pay my bill.


Armed with food and drink I make my way back towards the Shell station, and I find that I'm in a hurry to get there. I want to see him again. I wanted to know what was wrong with my car and I wanted to know how long I would get to hang out in this lonely little place. There, I admit it. I would not mind being stranded here for a few more hours. I want to get to know Edward, I want to know about him. How did he end up here? What does he do here, when he’s not fixing cars? Is there a Mrs. Sparkly Mechanic? Did woman often come here under the guise of car problems, just to have an affair with him? Not that I would blame anyone for it, at all. Jeez, I’m full of questions for him. This line of thinking really isn’t normal for me. I have only ever been with Jake. He presented me with a Valentine's Day card when we were 15 and that was it for me. We continued dating through out high school and have been each others first everything. We awkwardly gave our virginity to one another on prom night, and Jake proposed on Christmas morning during freshman year of college. I know, we are one big cliche fest. Not that I don't love him, because I do. Jake is my rock, my best friend, and I know that us being married and living happily ever after is his dream. The only problem I'm having is that I don't think it's my dream. I know that I definitely do not want to go back to Washington. I love California. I even love this deserted desert town, who's only attraction is a giant  thermometer. Unless of course you count the beautiful mechanic that apparently attracts women from miles around.


"Hey, Mr. Goodwrench!" I called out as I approached the garage. "I brought you some lunch, are you hungry?"


"Well that was nice of you, gorgeous. I could definitely eat. What did you bring me?" he said sounding genuinely grateful.

"Um, I had Rose make you a burger just the way you like it, and I got you a Dr. Pepper. Oh, and lovely Rose threw in some cookies just because she loves you so much." I swear if my face could crack my huge smile would do the trick.

"Hey, Bella? Would you like one of my cookies?" Edward is standing in front of me holding a cookie out to me in the palm of his right hand.

"Well that depends good sir. Do I need the cookie to sweeten the blow of the news you have to give me?" I asked with both of my hands on my hips.


The smirk returned to his face as he answered. "Baby girl, I think you're going to need more than a cookie for the news I'm about to deliver."




"You got it, you got it... Some kind of magic
Hypnotic, hypnotic
You're leaving me breathless
I hate this, I hate this
You're not the one I believe in
With God as my witness

Now when I caught myself
I had to stop myself
From saying something
That I should've never thought
Now when I caught myself
I had to stop myself
From saying something
That I should've never thought of you, of you

You're pushing and pulling me down to you
 But I don't know what I want
 No, I don't know what I want"

                                 
 I Caught Myself ~ Paramore


1 comment:

GreenPuma said...

Great start! Mechanicward is brilliant. Let's hope Bella comes to her senses and Jake f*cks things up :)