Friday, March 11, 2011

Chapter 16- Rhythm of Love



BPOV

Waking up first thing this morning  knowing that Edward would be on his way to me soon, puts a smile on my face. I jump out of my bed to go see if Charlie is awake yet. After getting dressed, I make my way downstairs and there is Alice and my dad laughing. It’s weird to have him in my space like this. He didn’t really approve of me coming to California for school, and he made that clear by never coming to visit, not that I minded. 

“Good morning,” I say as I walk into the kitchen in search of coffee.

“Mornin’ Bells,” Charlie says looking up from the paper.

Alice smiles at me as she flips pancakes on the stove. She knows that this is going to be a hard day for me, and I watch with a smile as she adds chocolate chips to mine.

“So, Bella, what time is Edward going to be here?” she asks.

“Um, I’m not quite sure. He’s going to call me when he leaves. The shop is closed today, so I’m hoping that he will be leaving early,” I answer as I pass a plate to my dad.

“You ready to meet Bella’s beau, Charlie? He’s wonderful, from what I hear,” Alice says as she winks at me.

Charlie huffs and drains his coffee mug before he answers,“I’m ready as I’ll ever be.”

The rest of the morning passes with my dad updating Alice and I about the happenings back in Forks, and Alice showing my dad the picture of Jake in Vegas. I can tell he is disappointed, and for a second I fear for Jacob’s safety—just for a second. I decide to take my dad to my school and show him around. He gets interested when I tell him about the sports teams. Other than that, I can tell that he is just humoring me. We have lunch on campus, and then I take him home so we can wait for Edward. Just as we walk in the door, my phone chirps, alerting me to a text message.

San Diego welcomes me... I’ll see you in a few! -E 
And all is right in my world. 
                    xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo

EPOV

As I enter the San Diego city limits, I swear I can feel myself getting closer to Bella. I send her a text and chuckle when her reply comes instantaneously. 

You have no idea how welcome you are, Baby. Drive faster! -B XO
I take her advice and step on the gas. It takes longer than I hoped that it would, but I finally find myself turning onto her street. Just as her car comes into view, I see her run down the front steps. She looks beautiful. She’s wearing a white dress and sandals, and all I can think of is how fast I can get it off of her. I barely put the Nova in park before I am out of the door and pulling her into my arms. Why does it feel like forever since I held her?  I lift her up and bury my face in the crook of her neck. I take a deep breath and let Bella flood my senses. I’m home.

I feel her fingers rake through my hair before she speaks. “Oh my God, Edward, I missed you so much. Has it really only been a few days?”

I set her on her feet and cradle her face in my hands. “It’s been forever, baby,” I whisper before I let my lips touch hers softly. Her hands move to my chest, and she uses my shirt to pull me closer to her. Her kiss is slow, and I’m dying for more. She bites my bottom lip before she pulls away.

“As much as I want to stand here and kiss you all day long...” she looks over her shoulder at her house “...my dad is in there, and it’s time for you two to meet.” 

I knew that it was coming, but I guess that I was hoping for some time alone with Bella first. It seems that I’m not going to get my wish this time. She takes my hand and starts to lead me toward the front door. I stop when we get to the steps and try to slow my heart rate.

“Is there anything that I should know before I face the firing squad, Baby girl?” I whisper.

“Well first of all, don’t call me Baby Girl in front of Charlie. He calls me that sometimes, and I’m not sure how much he would like that. Second of all, he loves baseball but do not bad mouth the Mariners. Just be yourself Edward. He needs to see how much we care about each other. His main concern is my happiness, and you make me happy so just show him that.” She leans up and kisses my cheek, before turning and pulling me along behind her.

Bella opens the door and I hold it for her while she walks through it. We walk into the house, and I see who I assume is her father, sitting on the couch. He looks up at us and uses the remote to turn off the t.v. He stands and looks at Bella.

“Dad, this is Edward...” She beams up at him “... and Edward, this is my dad, Charlie.”  

I take a step toward Charlie and hold my hand out to him. “It’s nice to meet you, sir. Bella has told me a lot about you.”

Charlie takes my hand in his and shakes it firmly. “Good to meet you too, Edward,” he says before releasing my hand and taking his seat on the couch.

Bella moves to sit nest to Charlie, and I sit down on in a comfy chair that Bella points to. I’m nervous, and I wish that she was next to me but being able to see her face is nice.

“Edward, I don’t have much time left of this visit, so I’m just going to get straight to the point. What exactly are your intentions with my daughter?” He lifts an eyebrow and he looks so much like Bella. This is definitely where her deep chocolate eyes come from.

I clear my throat and try to collect my thoughts. “Well, sir, I love your daughter. I have only the best intentions when it comes to her and our relationship. I hope to be fortunate enough to spend the rest of my life with her. With your blessing of course... Sometime in the future... Once she has finished school,” I stammer and blink rapidly. 

I look at Bella for some assistance, and she smiles at me. Charlie stares at me for a second before he also looks at Bella and then he starts laughing.

“Boy, there’s no need to be nervous! I know my daughter loves you, and I think you feel the same way about her. All I ask is that you take care of her and make her happy. If you do that, I will give you my blessing... When the time comes.” He puts his arm around Bella, and she kisses his cheek.

I allow myself to relax a little before I answer. “Yes, sir.” 
                       xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo

BPOV

I spend some time watching my two worlds collide. Edward and Charlie sit and talk sports for awhile, and eventually Charlie gets around to asking Edward about his work. I’m glad that he does because I’m proud of Edward, and I want my father to know how smart my boy really is. 

“Bella tells me that you’re a mechanic, is that right?” Charlie looks genuinely interested.

“That’s right. I run a small garage in Baker. My family owns what was originally just a truck stop diner. My grandparents built the garage and the motel sometime after they bought the diner. They left it to my sister and I when they passed away. Emmett, my brother in law, manages the motel.”

“Wow. So it’s a family business?” my dad asks.

Edward gets an odd look on his face, like he isn’t sure how to answer the question. 

“Well, yes I guess in a way it is. My grandfather was a mechanic by trade, and he taught me everything that I know about cars, but my formal education was in the other family business... medicine.” He wrings his hands together and raises his eyes to meet mine as he continues. 

“My father is an internationally renowned pediatric oncologist at Rady Children’s Hospital here in San Diego. I was premed at Stanford when my son was killed, and I’m sorry to say I never finished my schooling.” Edward looks at me as though he is trying to gauge my reaction, but before I can say anything Charlie speaks again.

“Geez, son. That was a mouthful.” He sighs before he looks Edward straight in the eyes. “I’m sorry for your loss, as a father I can’t imagine what that’s like. I’m not sure that I could have finished school after such a tragedy,myself. How did your wife take it?” And now Charlie is fishing.

“I wasn’t married, sir. Tanya, my son’s mother was a family friend. We were to be married, but it just didn’t work out that way. She was driving the car in the accident that killed our son Ben.” I can’t take it anymore, and I move to Edward’s side and take his hand. He smiles at me as I sit down on the arm of the chair. I decide to finish Edward’s story for him so that my dad knows I already know the story.

“Tanya was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and went to prison. After she was released, she took her own life. That was five years ago.” I look up and find my father staring at us with wide eyes.

In a very fatherly gesture, Charlie reaches out and pats Edward’s knee. “Well that’s just a damn shame. You have my condolences.”

The conversation gets much lighter as we discuss where we should eat dinner, and Edward insists on treating us. I decide that we should eat Mexican food since it isn’t something that my dad or Edward eat very often. We get into Edward’s Nova and I direct him to my favorite Mexican restaurant, Tio Leo’s. We eat and talk and after I offer to drive home my boys, we order a couple of beers. 

The time to say good bye to Charlie at the airport comes all too soon. This unexpected visit has made me realize how much I miss him. I make a promise to myself that I will make time to go visit him soon.

“It’s been so good getting to visit with you, Dad,” I say as I wrap my arms around his neck. 

“Yeah, it’s been really nice, Bells. Don’t make me come all the way down here to check on you again. Call me, Isabella. I need to know that you are okay.” I feel him kiss my hair.

Charlie holds his hand out for Edward to shake. “Take care of my baby girl, Edward. I’m glad to know you. I’ll see you around, maybe in Forks next time,” he says with a wink.

“Maybe you will.” Edward chuckles. “Nice to meet you, sir.”

I watch my father until I can no longer see him. Then I turn and smile at Edward. 

“Alone at last.” I whisper as I kiss his lips. 
                       xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo

We make our way back to Edward’s car, hand in hand. I can’t believe my boy is here with me.I’ve already decided that since I’m driving, I’m going to take him to my favorite place on earth... The beach.

“Edward, wanna go some where with me?” I bat my lashes at him as he opens the driver’s door for me.

“Bella, I’ll go anywhere with you. You know that,” he says as he slides in beside me.

“Good.” I nod and head off towards the horizon.

As long as I can remember, I have always sought refuge in the ocean. The first thing I did after I was settled here was find a piece of the beach that I could call home. That is where I’m taking Edward. There is a semi private beach on Diamond Street. It is surrounded by hotels, so locals don’t use it much. Thank goodness I’m not local, because I love it here. I find a parking space and look at Edward after I pull the keys out of the ignition. He is looking out at the beach with a smile on his face. 

“This is my favorite place in the world, and I’m so happy to finally have you in it,” I whisper as I squeeze his hand. 

I look over at Edward and realize that he’s not really dressed for the beach, in his plaid button up shirt and gray jeans. “Take your shoes off,” I say as I kick my sandals onto the floor.

I wait for him to do as I say, then we get out of the car and stand together staring out over the ocean. The sun is setting and the air is crisp. It’s almost perfect. I lean into Edward’s side and he wraps me up in his arms. Now it’s perfect. 

I lead him down the stairs that will take us down to the sand. Edward rushes a head of me and makes it to the bottom before I do. He smiles up at me before he takes off towards the water. I chase after him, giggling all the way. He stops where the water touches his toes and turns to face me. I don’t stop running, and I leap into his waiting arms. We both laugh loudly as we collide. Edward spins me around before I lock my legs ankles behind him. 

I kiss his neck as he whispers in my ear, “I missed you so much, Angel.”

“Me too baby,” I say as my fingers make their way into his hair, and I crush my lips to his. He returns my kiss and backs away from the water. I feel him sit down in the sand, bringing me down to straddle his lap. He pulls me impossibly closer as our tongues fight for control. I finally give up and let him take it. I love when he shows me how much he wants me. He sucks my bottom lip into his mouth and smirks at me as his hands make their way up my thighs and under my dress. His thumbs find their way to my center and ghost over the now damp fabric of my panties. I sigh as he breaks the kiss to speak.

“Show me your room, Bella.” He says and wiggles his eyebrows at me.





We may only have tonight
But till the morning sun you're mine all mine
Play the Music low and sway to the rhythm of love
My heart beats like a drum
A guitar string to the strum
A beautiful song should be sung
She's got blue eyes deep like the sea
That roll back when she's laughing at me
She rises up like the tide
The moment her lips meet mine
We may only have tonight
But till the morning sun you're mine all mine
Play the Music low and sway to the rhythm of love
When the moon is low
We can dance in slow motion
And all your tears will subside
All your tears will dry
And long after I've gone
You'll still be humming along
And I will keep you in my mind
The way you make love so fine
We may only have tonight
But till the morning sun you're mine all mine
Play the music low and sway to the rhythm of love
Rhythm of Love ~ The Plain White T’s

No comments: