Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chapter 3- Nice to Meet You Anyway

I’m still having trouble processing the fact that I am in bed with Edward. His arm is still around me and he is still half naked. I know I have to get out of this bed and collect myself, and yet I can’t fucking bring myself to do it. I scoot myself up the bed and sit with my back against the wall, trying to wiggle myself out from under Edward’s arm.

“Um Eddie, would you mind releasing me now?” I giggle as I see the embarrassment spread across his face as he moved is arm off of me quickly.

Edward was blushing, that’s right, I totally made that beautiful boy blush. Crap, now I’m blushing.
“Hey Bella, do you want to take a ride with me today to go get the part for your car? He looked shy all of a sudden. “I mean, you don’t have to, but it might be more fun than sitting around here all day.”

I have to hold myself back, because for some reason his invitation makes me want to squeal. “I’ll go with you, but right now I need a shower and a tooth brush. How long do I have before you want to leave?” Please, give me at least an hour, please give me at least an hour. I chant in my head.

“I guess about an hour or so? I’m going to get dressed and head to the diner for some coffee, you can meet me there when you’re ready.” He says still lounging on his stomach looking up at me.

I stand up and my head swims. When I look back at him I get a full, unobstructed view of his gorgeous back and the tattoo I had forgotten all about.  From shoulder to shoulder in very large letters it reads “CULLEN”, then in smaller letters nestled into the ‘C’ it says “BEN”. His expression changes when he realizes I’ve noticed it, and he almost looks scared. So now I have to ask and I speak before I can stop myself.

“Who are Cullen and Ben?” It comes out as barely a whisper, but I know he hears me because he sits up quickly and reaches for his shirt. “Um, Cullen is my last name and Ben was my son.” He doesn’t look at me and I take that to mean that he doesn’t want to talk about it, so I leave it alone.

“Oh.” Is the only reply I give before I head for the door. “See you at the diner in an hour, Edward.”

               ~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~xoxo~

As I make my way back to the motel room that I didn’t use last night I can’t help thinking about what Edward said about his tattoo. It doesn’t escape my notice that he referred to his son in the past tense.  Edward has a son? Or he had a son? What does that mean.The man is an enigma. I am so deep in my thoughts that I almost don’t hear the exaggerated giggles coming from my left. I look up and find Emmett leaning against the door jamb of the lobby wiggling his eyebrows at me.

“Hey Tinkerbella, did I just catch you in a walk of shame?” Then his face changes into something that looks like shock as he shouts “Oh shit! Aren’t you engaged?”

I can’t help the laugh that escapes me when I answer. “Yes Emmett, I’m engaged. No this isn’t a walk of shame, because nothing happened so I have nothing to be ashamed about. I passed out at Edward’s and woke up in my clothes. End of story. Have a good day, Em.” I say over my shoulder, effectively closing the subject.

I let myself in the room and head for the shower. I’m out in record time. I feel anxious and a little excited, which is strange because I have no idea where we are even going. I dress in my favorite cut off jeans, a tank top and my ruffled black low converse. I throw my hair up in a messy knot and head out to the diner. I realize that I have no idea when I have to be out of the room, so I stop the lobby to talk to Emmett.

“What’s check out time around here, Em? I’m supposed to be going with Eddie to pick up the part for my car, so I was just wondering if I should check out before we leave.”

He smiles at me with his huge dimples when he answers me. “Well Tink, since we aren’t at capacity, I suppose it would be okay for you to stay in there until your car is ready.”

I run around the side of the counter and give him a hug before I head for the door. “Thanks Emmett, I really appreciate it. See you when I get back.”

For a girl stuck in the middle of no where with a broken down car, and  a delayed wedding, I was in a really good mood. I felt like I was almost skipping across the parking lot to the diner. As I got to the door I saw Edward at the counter talking to Rose. Jeez, they were beautiful. Edward’s bronze hair was sticking out in every imaginable direction, and yet it looked perfect. Sex hair was the only way to describe it.  He was wearing gray cargo shorts with a Superman t-shirt and blue checked Vans without socks. He was like my fucking high school fantasy come to life.

Edward holds a Styrofoam travel mug out and he whispers to me. “How’s the head, Bella? Do you need some Advil or is coffee enough?” He looks worried and I find it cute for some reason.

“I’m good. The shower made me feel a lot better, so the coffee should do it. Are you ready to go?” I ask as Rose approaches us with a to go bag.

She looks at me with a knowing smirk that I have grown to love. “Bella, these are my famous breakfast burritos. They are good and greasy, and proven to cure even the worst hang over. Eat them in good health.” Rose said with a wink.

We thank Rose and head out the door. Edward opens the passenger door of his car and I get butterflies in my stomach as I sit down. I reach over and push the driver’s side door open for him. When you gets in he looks at me with a very serious expression on his angel face.

“Bella, I have never allowed anyone to eat in my car before, please don’t make me regret it.” I search his face for any sign that he is fucking with me, but I find none. So I take the napkins out of the bag and hand him three before I claim the rest for myself. Edward starts the car and a very familiar song beats out of the speakers.... “Now here's a little story I've got to tell, About three bad brothers you know so well, it started way back in history with Adrock, M.C.A., and me - Mike D.”... Edward is bumping The Beastie Boys and I know it’s going to be a fan-fucking-tastic voyage!

We ate our burritos in silence and I must admit that I did feel better after I was done. Rose was the hang over whisperer.  I watched as the desert highway passed outside the window and then I remembered I had no idea where we were headed.

“Edward, I know I should have probably asked this before we left, but where are we going?”

He laughed out loud and it might as well have been angels singing, because it sounded that good. What was happening to me? There is no way I can be falling for this guy! Had my car not broken down, I would be married to Jake already. “We are headed to the paradise vacation resort known as Barstow. It is the most popular rest stop between southern California and Las Vegas. It has the busiest In-n-Out Burger in the country and it is the closest place to Baker with an auto parts shop.” There was a joke in there somewhere, but  I’m just not sure what I’m missing. I don’t remember any resort when I passed this way before.

“Are you sure there’s a resort town back this way? I don’t remember anything like that from when I passed through here.” I must look puzzled, be cause he erupts with laughter.

“I’m joking Bella. Barstow is definitely not a resort. But it does have the busiest In-n-Out in the country, and I am taking you there for lunch.”

He is way to excited to eat more junk food, and I’m not sure my stomach can take any more grease. Although if there is one thing I’ve learned from my time in San Diego, it is to never turn down an In-n-Out burger. “Sounds like you have this all planned out, but I think if I eat anymore I may not fit into my wedding dress.”

“Bella, you are sort of perfect. If the dress doesn’t fit, get a new one.” He says with a straight face, and I find myself speechless, so I stop talking. ‘Time to get ill’ plays in the background and the silence is comfortable. So comfortable in fact that I must of dozed off, because the next thing I know Edward is nudging me awake.

“Wake up, Sleeping Beauty, we’re here.”

My eyes flutter open at the sound of his voice and I smile for no reason at all. The sun is bright and it is ridiculously hot. Any and all of my exposed skin is sticking to the leather seats of Edward’s car. He looks amused with my discomfort, and when I speak I know that I am throwing more attitude at him than he deserves.

“What is it with you guys and the Disney references? I don’t look like Sleeping Beauty or Tinkerbell. I’m sweating like a pig and my thighs are stuck to this seat. Are we going into the store, or are you just going to sit here and stare at me all day?”

Now he is really amused, he throws his head back and laughs loudly. “Get out of the car, Bella. Before I leave you and your bad mood in here while I go in and talk to Mike without you.”

He moves to get out of the car and I grab for his arm. “I’m sorry Eddie, I’m just hot. Let’s get this show on the road.”

“Apology accepted. Come on, if you’re really good I’ll buy you a milkshake.” He said with a smirk.

We bought the part Edward needed to fix my car, and ten minutes later we are pulling up to the biggest In-n-Out Burger I’ve ever seen. Edward is acting as if it’s Disneyland. He is out of the car and around to my side before I even have a chance to take my seat belt off. It’s like a comedy skit! He pulls me out and the seat belt snaps me back against the seat. It takes 3 tries before I get out, and we are falling over with laughter.We get inside, and I find a table while he orders for us.

We eat in silence for a few minutes and then Edward speaks up. “So what’s your story, Bella? I mean, for a girl who missed her own wedding you don’t seem to mind much.”

Despite my mouth full of chocolate shake I answer him. “Yeah well Jake and I have been together since we were kids, so this is just the next logical step. It isn’t a big deal, really. There aren’t even guests, just 2 friends that came to sign for us as witnesses.” I shrug and he looks perplexed.

“But isn’t it supposed to be special? I mean you’re vowing your heart and your life to him for as long as you live. Don’t you want your family there? I can’t imagine that he doesn’t feel like the luckiest bastard alive to have you choose him.”

Again I search his face for any sign that he is fucking with me, but there is none. “Well I suppose he is, it was his idea after all. He really wants to seal the deal. I guess I’m just not a fairytale ending kind of girl.”

“Well what kind of girl are you?” His green eyes burn a whole straight to my heart and I fear I won’t be able to answer him, but I do.

“Um, I guess I’m the kind of girl that dreams about driving across the country searching for what life is supposed to be, because her real life is completely ordinary and unsatisfying. What about you Eddie, what kind of boy are you?”

“I’m the kind of boy that co-pilots a  beautiful girl’s drive across the country!” He says as he laughs so hard that milkshake drips down his chin.

“Well that sounds like fun! I hope you find a beautiful girl in need of a co-pilot, because that car of yours is to sexy to sit at home alone.”

The rest of the meal is spent in silence, though it feels like there is so much more to say. We make our way back to the car and I see that there is an outlet shopping mall across the parking lot and I nearly lose my shit. “Edward...” I start and I bat my eyelashes at him. “What are the chances that you are going to let me go to that outlet mall and buy stuff?”

I can tell that he is trying not to laugh, because he won’t look me in the eye and his face is turning red. “Bella if you go into those stores we are never going to get back to the garage to fix your car. It’s your car, so I guess it’s up to you.”

I grab his hand and pull him towards the car and squeal. “Just one store, Edward. I swear I’ll be fast, but I will never forgive myself if I don’t at least look in that Coach outlet!” Now I’m practically jumping up and down.

“Fine Bella, let’s go.” He says with a smile and I refrain from hugging him.

One hour and $400 later, I have a new wallet and new sunglasses, and Edward has a new belt. We make our way back to the car and head back to Baker.

I know that as soon as we get back Edward will fix my car and I will drive to Vegas to meet up with Jake. It is likely that I will never see Edward, Rose or Emmett again. The thought makes me sad. Will they miss me, or am I just another passer by? I think about this until we pull up in front of Edward’s garage and he turns to me with a storm in his eyes. “Thanks for coming with me today. Without you I would still be in need of a brown belt.”

“My pleasure, Edward. I’m gonna go pack up my stuff. Will you let me know when you’re done here?” I say as I get out of the car.

“Of course, Bella. Give me about an hour and a half. I’ll have Emmett call your room when I’m done.” The look on his face is strange. It’s like he is trying to keep his true emotion to himself. The funny thing is it was exactly what I was doing.

When I go back to my room I realize that packing will be easy, because I never unpacked. I picked up my mess in the bathroom and decided that I would shower again. When I was getting dressed I came across my SDSU baseball cap and decided that it would be the perfect little gift to leave with Edward as a “thank you”. He has gone out of his way to help me and I want to make sure that he knows I appreciate it. Well that and also the fact that I thought he would look totally fucking sexy in my Aztec hat! Crap, I have to get out of here before I tie Edward up and take him with me. That would be a bad decision because I am going to get married as soon as I leave here, and I don't think that Jake is going to let me keep Edward in the spare bedroom. But man, wouldn’t that be wonderful? The sound of a phone ringing brings me out of my musings and the pounding of my heart tells me that my time here is up.

“Hello?” It comes out as barely a whisper.

“Hey, Bella! Edward says that he will be done in about 5 minutes. Do you need some help with your bags?” His voice booms through the phone, and it let’s me know that the sadness I’m feeling is wrong. I should be happy that my car is fixed and  that I am finally going to get to see Las Vegas.

“Yeah Emmett, that would be great. I’m ready whenever you are.” I do my best impersonation of a happy girl.

90 seconds later there is a knock on my door, and I let out a breath that I didn’t even realize I was holding, before I walk to the door and let Emmett in. “Thanks for doing this Emmett, I would have had to make two trips if I did it alone.”

“Not a problem Bella, I’m here to help. I’ll meet you down in the lobby when you’re ready.” He says as he grabs my bags and walks out the door.

I take a last look around, scanning the room to make sure that I haven’t forgotten anything. I don’t see any stray items, so I pick up my purse and my hat and close the door behind me. Down in the lobby I settle my bill with Emmett and thank him again for his hospitality. He assures me that I am welcome anytime and pulls me into a bear hug before I head out into the scorching afternoon sun. I can see Edward standing next to my car and my heart totally fucking stops at the sight. He is still wearing his gray cargo shorts, but his shirt is MIA. His golden torso glistens in the sun and the smirk is back full force. Yup, he caught me ogling the goods... again. At this rate he should charge me extra.

“So, how’s my baby? Is she ready to get back on the road?” I ask, praying that he will not mention my wandering eyes.

“Do you doubt my mad skills? I’m a little insulted. Hurt even. Your car is as good as new, Baby girl.” He says as he holds the keys out for me to take.

I give a girly squeal and finally let my self hug him. Bad idea, because now I don’t want to let him go. I peel myself away before it gets weird, and I know that it’s time for me to hit the road.

“So, Eddie, how much do I owe you for the miracle you just performed?” I ask in a smart ass tone. He hands me an itemized bill, and explains the listed charges, and I hand him my credit card. When he gives me my card and receipt I swear I can feel the air around us change. I’m not sure what he is holding back, but I know that I have to get out of there before my words change my life. At that very moment I remember that I am holding my hat.

“Um Edward, I really hope you know how much I appreciate everything you did for me. I know that most people wouldn’t have gone through all the trouble. I wanted to give you something, and don’t try to stop me because it’s not a big deal at all.” I say as fast as I can and I hold the hat out to him before he can stop me. “This is from my school, and I thought it could, you know, keep the sun out of your eyes.”

He looks genuinely surprised, and this pleases me. “Thanks Bella! I love it and now I’ll have something to remember the crazy girl that came barreling through town and stole a whole weekend of my life away!” He laughs his angel’s song laugh and nudges me with his elbow. I turn to him and hug him again before getting into my car and driving away. He waves until I can no longer see him in my rear view mirror, and I that is the image that I add to the story of my life. I know that I will never forget Edward Cullen.



"So before this goes too far
Let me tell you what you are
You're amazing, I'm attracted
But I'm terribly distracted
And I'm trying to be verbal
And I'm back into this circle
Because I just found someone special
And that's really something special
If you knew me
Nice to meet you
Nice to meet you anyway
And even if you want me to stay here
I'm telling you right now
I should leave
Before I get to changing my mind, dear
I hope you understand what I mean"

Nice to Meet You Anyway~Gavin DeGraw

No comments: